DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Starry bars

I have a tendency to get really into things that I don't necessarily believe in. In kindergarten it was the tooth fairy, in ninth grade it was Paramore and today it's astrology.

As an incredibly disorganized and emotive person, I'm a little bit skeptical of how accurate my Virgo status is, but I still love reading my horoscope and sending my friends funny screenshots of theirs (this week Cosmo told me to stop spending extra money, which did feel like a very personal attack).

But one of my favorite trends of all time is assigning random objects to star signs. Through countless Tumblr posts describing me as different mermaids and foods and 2015 memes, I've discovered that the stars don't really matter and you can just kind of assign value to whatever you want. So for this article on Chapel Hill's bars as students, I've decided that my new star sign is Linda's (as is everybody's at the DTH), but my moon sign is He's Not and my rising sign is The Library. Sorry, Virgo!

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• Margaret Spellings was inaugurated as the 18th UNC-system president on Thursday. In a speech during the ceremony, she highlighted the needs of low-income and minority students. 
  • Hillary Clinton has 38 field offices in North Carolina compared to Donald Trump's 11, and they might just be working, as Clinton is leading Trump in the state according to the latest polls. 
  • The jury for Chandler Kania's trial began deliberations at 2:50 p.m. on Thursday and haven't reached a verdict yet. The defense and prosecution are split over whether or not Kania drove with malice, which is a key factor in the charges he pleaded "not guilty" to.
  • Our State and National desk provided live coverage for Thursday's debate matchup between Richard Burr and Deborah Ross, who are running for North Carolina's senate positions. The candidates discussed Hillary Clinton, health care, foreign policy and the recent Charlotte protests. 

IN RECORD RELEASES

The University is quickly approaching its Oct. 28 deadline to release public records concerning those found guilty of rape, sexual misconduct or assault. UNC claims that their refusal to release the records is out of concern for survivors, but survivors and DTH staff say the issue is more nuanced.

IN BALLER BUSINESSMEN 

Maverick Carter's jobs are just as cool as his name — he's LeBron James' marketing agent, CEO of SpringHill Entertainment and a founding partner of Beats by Dr. Dre. Carter kicked off the Sutton Innovation Speaker Series on Thursday with a talk on his high school friendship with James, his relationship with his grandmother and the importance of authenticity and human curiosity in business.

IN UNCOMMON APPLICATIONS

High school seniors are currently living my dream. Due to North Carolina's state of emergency, the early admissions deadline for UNC has been extended by a week. Somewhere in the universe, high school Rachel is shaking her fist at the lack of a hurricane season her senior year (she still got in, though). And to any UNC hopefuls reading this — stressed about getting into your dream school? Just get a staph infection and fill out your college applications while you're high out of your mind.

IN MIAMI MATCHUPS

North Carolina faces off against another hurricane in this weekend's football game against No. 16 Miami. The game is crucial to both teams' chances at the ACC championship, so the stakes are high for Miami's powerhouse offense and UNC's pass rush playmakers. With Miami defensive tackle Sunny Odogwu out for the game, the Tar Heels have a chance at claiming victory.