DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Meet Rachel's dog

If you've ever met me in person, you've probably seen my dog Solo. You might not have seen him in-person, since he tragically lives two hours away from campus with my parents, but I keep a photo album of him on my phone that has 200 images and counting. He recently celebrated his first birthday with peanut butter, ice cream and a candle. It was cute as hell.

But no matter what I do for Solo, I probably won't name my online clothing store after him. This is only partially because he is named after a Star Wars character that I think is probably trademarked and mostly because I highly doubt I will ever own an online clothing store. But even if I managed to pull that off, I would have to live with the knowledge that Ben Bolling and Jon Cochran did it better. Their brand Beagleman's is very cool and has a T-shirt of Barb from "Stranger Things" that I am immediately adding to my Christmas list.

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• As UNC-SWIRL approaches its one year anniversary, it's looking ahead to the future. For the student group, which focuses on creating a safe space for multiracial students, that means getting more input from members and making the leap to participating in activism and discussion.
  • The U.S. Supreme Court will hear a North Carolina case concerning social media use for sex offenders. The case, which upheld a law keeping registered sex offenders off of websites that allow minors to post, could have broad implications for content-neutral restrictions.
  • UNC SAGA's “Glitter. Power. Love: A (re)Introduction to Gender" event featured genderqueer activist Jacob Tobia, who discussed their history and the broader history of the genderqueer and trans movements. 
  • Homecoming is happening this weekend! Read our coverage and find out how to cheer on the Tar Heels against Georgia Tech on Saturday.

IN ATHLETE ACTIVISM

Athletes have been historically silent on social movements. But in the few instances when they speak out, their actions are scrutinized and torn apart by fans and rivals alike. We examine the responsibilities and responses to activist athletes, both nationally and here at UNC. 

IN RACHEL'S PERFECT WORLD

"Blown Youth" opens tonight like any other play on campus — except for the complete lack of men in the cast. The socially conscious play, which focuses on mental health and feminism through the lens of struggling actor Celia, is completely helmed by women and non-binary people. The unique diversity of the cast shines through in the play's message, but it also means a lot to the cast and crew, who often feel marginalized by theater. 

IN HALLOWEEN HUNTS

A man in a Pablo Escobar costume with a "Wanted" sign around his neck is keeping at least one aspect of the costume after Halloween. He broke into rooms in Morrison Residence Hall and threatened female students. His whereabouts are unknown, but police are looking for tips.