DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: First-year takeover edition

Honestly, I was spoiled AF as a first-year.

I lived in Craige North, so I only had to share my bathroom with three other people. Not only were my roommate and I a perfect match, but everyone on my hall also bonded like best friends from day one. I’ve always been a Rams-over-Lenoir type of kid, so every meal was a delight. The only complaint I ever had was the distance I had to walk to class every morning, which was especially difficult for someone like me, who can’t arrive to her own parties on time, let alone to class.

But now, after a decision by Housing and Residential Education, North Campus dorms will soon be open to first-year students — aka, they will get one final year of happiness before their sophomore slump. Say goodbye to that long, Thursday-night ride home from Frat Court on the P2P, kids. You are truly #blessed.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• Piedmont Natural Gas wants Wilmington’s permission to build a gas pipeline underneath the Cape Fear River, but some believe the addition will hurt more than help.
  • Weeks after the election, North Carolina is still waiting to hear the final word on whether Pat McCrory or Roy Cooper will be its next governor.
  • A new space in the Ackland Art Museum allows students to relax, drink coffee, meet with friends and think critically about current events surrounding police shootings.
  • We sat down with Alex Koszeghy, one of the sparkliest students ever to attend a UNC football game, to find out why she loves painting up in glitter for games.

IN HOSTAGE SITUATIONS

Ten years ago, the lives of East Chapel Hill High School teacher Lisa Kukla and student Chelsea Slegal were changed forever. Kukla says the school district tried to downplay what happened that day, but the two are still doing their best to move on after being held hostage in a classroom for over an hour back in April 2006. In the final installment of our series on the situation, we sat down with the pair to discuss the criminal case and what life is like today.

IN GREAT FIRST-YEAR MIGRATIONS

Next year, first-year students will have the opportunity to live on North Campus. (Even though hiking twenty minutes to campus from HoJo to class really builds character that first semester, in my opinion). After receiving a slew of student suggestions, UNC will open up Lewis, Aycock and Graham residence halls for first-year students, while some dorms on South Campus will be reserved for older students.

IN ME VS. MYSELF VS. A FROG

I hate the Dark Kermit memes because they’re way too accurate. But also, I can’t think of any better way to procrastinate studying for finals than scrolling down Twitter until 3 a.m. and shouting “LITERALLY ME” at every single one I see. That being said: Join us as we push off our responsibilities for as long as possible and check out the best of 2016’s most popular meme.