DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Getting the blues

Happy Thursday, everybody. If you've made it this far in the week, I'm proud of you. I'm surviving by the skin of my teeth and also the five episodes of "The Office" I watched today from my bed while eating Wendy's, also in my bed.

But now that we're (mostly) done with the election, it's time to focus on another bitter rivalry marked by name-calling, in-state competition and literal devils. UNC is competing against Duke in pretty much every capacity this week. So please, UNC, win something.

I don't care if it's a football game, a victory bell redesign or a League of Legends match — just bring this poor, overworked journalist some joy. Also some more Wendy's and/or photos of your pets would be nice.

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• South Building became a rallying point on Wednesday afternoon for students expressing disappointment and anger following the election. Though organizers emphasized that the event wasn't meant to express a stance on either candidate, students shared their fears for the months and years ahead.
  • Jewish student organizations came together last week to unanimously approve a document explaining their pro-Israel stance. The document advocates for a peaceful two-state solution.
  • Voter participation went up by 2 percentage points in Orange County for this election. While Trump turned North Carolina red, he managed to keep the orange out of Orange County with a 50-plus percentage point loss to Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
  • First-year Allen Hughes is one of the more than 450 veterans enrolled at UNC. While his age and last job might set him apart from fellow undergrads, he's here to learn just like everybody else.

IN DEFENSIVE DEVILS

Color me unsurprised, but Duke isn't having a great football season. However, all bets are off for today's game against UNC, where the Blue Devils are looking to avenge last year's loss to UNC for our homecoming game. The Devils will have to put in major work against Trubisky and friends as they come into Wallace Wade Stadium with a rookie quarterback and exactly zero ACC wins. 

IN THE EDUCATION COMMUNICATION

The Dean’s Advisory Committee will be making some serious changes to general education requirements in the next few months. The committee, which is made up of current and recent students in addition to businesspeople, is expected to expand experiential credits and make gen eds a more central part of the college experience. This one is bittersweet for me — as someone who took Economics 101 and discovered midway through the semester that I didn't actually have to, I want people to avoid my fate but also suffer the same way I did.

IN A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN

UNC and Duke will compete against each other in an online League of Legends match on Friday. The match, which is part of the growing eSports movement, is the result of a fan voting contest which selected rival colleges to compete in a League-sponsored tournament. I'm not sure what's wilder: the fact that this is actually happening or that it's expected to draw in thousands of viewers.