DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Tweet us your peanut butter haikus

Good morning, and welcome to this historic moment — the day we produced an entire paper without a single story I have an embarrassing anecdote about.

After much deliberation, we've decided that in honor of National Peanut Butter Day, three of our editors will hold a dedicated haiku-writing contest — and you, loyal readers, will inform us who the winner is. Please share your opinion by emailing or tweeting us with #PeanutHaiku. Seriously, we have a coffee riding on this.

Poem 1:

Peanut Butter Day.

If you like the crunchy kind,

You deserve no joy.

Poem 2:

It's hard to talk with

Peanut butter stuck to the

Mmfmfmgbfmfff

Poem 3:

brown and sticky goo

not my fave but it will do

wtf is this haiku

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Chapel Hill town employees hosted a meeting with community members on Monday to address the unending mess that is Rosemary Street construction, preferred building heights and affordable housing options in town.
  • Here's an in-depth look at the town of Chapel Hill's decision to purchase the American Legion land on Dec. 5 for $7.9 million, despite being controversial among community members.
  • North Carolina is now rated No. 2 in solar capacity across the country, falling only behind California, according to a Duke Energy spokesperson.

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone made the police blotter for getting in an argument over how long a guest could stay in their apartment. Another person stole a beer, valued at $7.49, from a Walgreens at 11:47 a.m.

IN HISTORIC NEWS

Pauli Murray's house in Durham has officially been designated a National Historic Landmark. Some hope the recognition will shed light on Murray as an important civil rights figure and a queer black woman who hasn't received much attention.

IN A SQUIRREL CENSUS

According to estimates from a UNC librarian, there are approximately 1,387 gray squirrels roaming campus. The high population density is attributed to abundant supplies of acorns, pecans and doughnut wrappers in trash cans. Future questions can be submitted to the UL on Post-It notes or on the library's Tumblr, ask.fm-style.

IN STATE NEWS

A new report found the gender wage gap in Orange County is wider than the rest of the state. And — in entirely unsurprising news — the gap is particularly big for women of color. In our county, the report said white women make 80 cents for every dollar their male counterparts make; black women make 52 cents; and Latina women make 37 cents.