DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Come to our conference!

Good morning, and congratulations condragulations for making it to the end of this week!

Yesterday, I threw it back to sophomore year, and today we're going back to my first-year life in good ole' Crusty Craige. When I was in my very first semester at Carolina, our dorm's fire alarm went off over five times in the course of about a month — while we were sleeping at 3 a.m., while I was showering at 10 a.m., during my designated time to do nothing at 8 p.m.

Pulling the fire alarm became our shtick — the way HoJo's is alcohol poisoning and Koury's is being irrelevant. Our community governor literally made our RHA T-shirt say "Sound the alarm" across the back.

And yesterday morning, residents of Joyner Residence Hall tasted my pain as they woke up to the sweet, screeching melodies of a fire alarm at 8 in the morning. Their neighbors in Alexander also enjoyed fun, exclusive pampering like shower water temporarily turning brown, but that's neither here nor there.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Be sure to come out to The Daily Tar Heel's conference for our 2017 alumni weekend! Tickets are available now; mark your calendars for Feb. 17 and 18.
  • TarHeelReader.org, an online library of free books for students with disabilities, just hit its 10 millionth book read.
  • Franklin Street will be officially saying goodbye to Chapel Hill Comics on March 31 — be on the lookout for sales and discounts over the next few weeks as they prepare to close shop.
  • Here's everything you need to know before UNC men's basketball takes on the Fighting Irish in the Smith Center on Saturday.

IN DAILY CRIME

The world's worst neighbor reported "dogs barking" at 8 p.m. on a Friday. Another person made off with a Honda Pilot, valued at $5,000, on a Sunday afternoon.

IN THE HIGHEST COURT

Donald Trump put up conservative, original-intent justice Neil Gorsuch as his nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court. Democrats in the Senate are likely preparing a filibuster to try to shoot down the nomination.

IN THE PARKING DECK

While complaining about parking is an ancient Chapel Hill/UNC pastime, many don't think about how paid parking affects University employees, including some who already aren't earning a living wage.

IN FAKE NEWS

Junior Andrew Clark is running a satirical campaign for student body president, and it's everything. His platform pegs include "blind ambition" and "empty promises." And his argument to get your vote is, "Let’s face it, you’ll be voting for a straight, white, male Morehead no matter what." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IN KVETCHING

This week's Kvetching Board is A+, and I'm only partially saying that because I wrote one. To the person who kvetched "Has The Daily Tar Heel forsaken the bees?", the answer is yes.