DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Not another dog newsletter

Good morning, and happy Wednesday to everyone except the American Kennel Club judge who messed up my Westminster bracket last night.

And while I'm still bitter that the miniature poodle took non-sporting — and the rest of the office is probably bitter that I made them watch six hours of a dog show — there is, at least, some good dog-related news today.

Meet Maya, the little brown rescue puppy who will be acting as the first therapy dog at UNC's Counseling and Psychological Services at Campus Health.

God bless.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Amazon Wind Farm became North Carolina's first fully operational utility scale wind farm last week, and it's expected to contribute $520,000 in property taxes annually.
  • Researchers from Duke University have reported finding abnormal amounts of selenium in fish living in lakes around Duke Energy power plants. Past natural levels, the element can cause abnormal development in aquatic life.
  • UNC basketball player Kenny Williams might be out for the N.C. State game tonight after suffering an undisclosed injury. Isaiah Hicks' status for the game is also TBD.

IN DAILY CRIME

In the most serious newsletter crime ever, someone stole a Ford valued at about $8,000 on Wednesday. Another person was reported for vandalism after drawing on town property with a marker.

IN REGRET

WCHL/Chapelboro and Aesthetic Solutions held a contest this Valentine's Day for regretful tattoo recipients to win free laser removal. Among the submissions were a tattooed wedding ring of an ended marriage, a dragon tattoo that scared its owner's daughter and an ambigram of the words “beautiful disaster.” It was steep competition, to say the least.

IN THE MAGAZINES

Esquire ranked UNC among the top 10 schools for attractive guys this year. Considering the fact that other top schools included West Virginia and Utah, I can't recommend putting too much stock in their opinion.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

UNC students who are taking the GRE offered some tips to our brand studio on how to get your best score. Here's everything you need to know if you're thinking of applying to grad school.