DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Spay and neuter your pets

Good morning, and please enter your submissions for who should be my significant other for the today here!

In case that endeavor somehow fails, I can rest assured I'll spend the day with Ben, my dog and 100 pounds of kind-eyed idiocy. This month will mark six years since I saw him in the Guilford County Animal Shelter for the first time, cowering in the corner of a kennel in a puddle of his own urine — and next week will mark six years since I brought him home.

So if you're as lame and single as I am, consider heading over to Orange County Animal Services this month, where dogs and cat adoption fees have been discounted to help them find forever homes.

You won't regret it; Ben is still the best $100 I've ever spent.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The UNC Board of Elections only has one of the required five members, which is resulting in a complete holdup of this year's student body presidential election.
  • Legislators in the N.C. General Assembly are proposing a pay increase for themselves in 2019 — the first raise in more than 20 years.
  • Today marks the fourth annual erotic fiction reading at Linda's for Valentine's Day — and the fourth annual time I've missed it to be doing something more boring. (Note: I did spend one of those times with a significant other.)

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone reported being disturbed by a street sweeper at 5:44 a.m. on South Elliott Road. Another person was reported for "yelling loudly on a porch" at 2 in the morning.

IN YOUNG LOVE

Meet the UNC couples who are happier than all of us this Valentine's Day. We spoke with Magdalena and Brett; Tyler and Sean; and Sierra and Nicholas, who fell in love by staying up together until 3 a.m. or 4 a.m. — which, by that standard, means Jane, Hannah and I are on track for a polygamist marriage by May.

IN RESTAURANT OPENINGS

A new food joint called "One Fish Two Fish" is bringing Hawaiian cuisine to Franklin Street. Which is incredible news because 1) they're gonna serve poke and 2) it reminded me that Tom+Chee is closed forever.

IN MY OPINION

If you haven't gotten sick of hearing from me yet, check out my column today in which I revisit my piece from this summer on the mass shooting in Orlando — and admit to sometimes using journalistic objectivity as a shield from obligation and human empathy.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

UNC students who are taking the GRE offered some tips to our brand studio on how to get your best score. Here's everything you need to know if you're thinking of applying to grad school.