DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The OWASAlypse

Good morning, and congratulations on finally being allowed to shower again.

Just one short day before the town-wide water crisis, East Chapel Hill High held a controlled burn in front of about 150 students to demonstrate sustainable forest practices and learn about ecosystems, according to an AP environmental science teacher.

For comparison, I went to high school in Guilford County, about an hour and a half from here — where we took a trip outside to look at lichen in the parking lot, and my AP environmental science teacher taught us how to dougie.

Fear not, future of public education.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• mental health ambassadors program is coming to UNC in hopes of bringing professional training and bridging the University's other mental health-related groups on campus.
  • Caffe Driade, Open Eye Cafe, Cocoa Cinnamon, Friends’ CafĂ© and Coco Bean Coffee Shop joined a national effort with hundreds of other cafes to raise money for the ACLU in support of refugees and immigrants.
  • UNC men's basketball pulled out an 83-76 victory over Notre Dame in my home-hellhole of Greensboro on Sunday night.
  • Columnist Benji Schwartz raises the argument that "in an ideal world, marginalized groups wouldn't have to make nice with their oppressors" — but we don't live in an ideal world, and making change is gonna require some high-roading.

IN DAILY CRIME

Another person stole a $500 leaf blower — y'all gotta chill. There was also a report of a "suspicious child" at Walgreens at 10:46 p.m. on Thursday.

IN TOWN CRISES

In case you missed it, the OWASAlypse hit Chapel Hill and Carrboro like a ton of bricks over the weekend. A water main break and its resulting shortage left students and residents relying on bottled water — and restaurants, bars and campus closing early on Friday.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

The UNC Supreme Court has ruled to postpone elections and invalidated a ruling to disqualify student body presidential candidate Joe Nail. RIP my chance to print the headline "Board of Elections nails Joe on false campaign start."

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

Carolina Brewery is feelin' 22 on West Franklin Street. They sat down with our 1893 Brand Studio recently to introduce us to craft beer and West Franklin Street's night scene.