DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: I'm sitting in RDU traffic right now

Good morning!

I might be writing this at 11 p.m., but I can say with absolute certainty that as you're reading this at 7 a.m., I am late and rushing to catch my flight to a conference in St. Petersburg for the weekend. It'll be a trip full of workshops, attempted networking and one awards banquet that happens to be going on at the same time as the UNC-Butler game AND the season premiere of RuPaul's Drag Race.

I'm still having an existential crisis about how I'm going to pull off wearing my lucky UNC T-shirt on Friday during a formal event — so if you have any tips, please @ me on Twitter. And while you're waiting for Friday to roll around, check out Swerve's roundup today of the best moments of March Madness 2017 so far.

Catch you on Monday.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• One year after the passage of House Bill 2, Forbes estimates the law has lost our state $630 million in business — on top of continuing anxieties for transgender residents.
  • Chapel Hill Town Council recently approved plans for a new pre-K and high school campus on South Merritt Mill Road at the site of the historic Lincoln Center.
  • Officials are still investigating a fire in downtown Raleigh last Thursday that displaced 250 people and left 10 buildings damaged. They're unsure how long the investigation will take.

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone was trespassed for causing a scene at the McDonald's at 409 W. Franklin St. Another person reported "fighting and affray" at The Library at 1:42 a.m. Typical The Library.

IN UNC HISTORY

Gwendolyn Smith, who died Feb. 28, was UNC's first black female student in the summer of 1951. Despite her fight to be allowed to attend the University, she's often overlooked by historians for not being the first to graduate.

IN HELPFULNESS

Chapel Hill police are coming through for us all. The department announces where its speed patrols will be on its website and social media to help reduce speeding without ruining people's days.

IN THE MARCH ON WENDY'S

Advocacy groups are planning to protest Wendy's and its treatment of farmworkers on March 27. Demonstrators plan to meet at noon in Polk Place and march through the Pit to the Wendy's in the Student Union.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition