Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Never Have I Ever

Good morning, and welcome to a newsletter that will hopefully send out at 7 a.m. like it's supposed to!

Today, Swerve brings you some ~investigative journalism~ on how international students play drinking games in their home countries. The Dutch really like "Never Have I Ever." The English play "20 plus one." The Irish are confused why you'd need a game to drink.

None of them, however, have witnessed a certain editor friend run across an indoor balcony wearing leggings as a shirt and a sweatshirt as pants during "Truth or Dare." Nor have they pregamed at Duke by playing "Quarters," in which people literally throw money into ironically cheap beer and then drink it — which is arguably the most Duke action the human body is capable of performing.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• As the first installment of a new series, we had He's Not put together a Spotify playlist that encapsulates the flavor of their bar. For alums, soon-to-be graduates and current UNC students, reminisce and be merry.
  • Here are three takeaways from UNC football's Pro Timing Day at Navy Field, including an explanation of former running back Elijah Hood's decision to forgo his final year of eligibility and go pro.
  • A 12-vendor food truck rodeo is coming to Rosemary Street on Sunday and it seems super exciting, but I don't care because Monterrey isn't one of them.

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone committed blasphemy by committing fraud at the Kitchen Beer and Wine Bar on Wednesday. In less serious crimes, another person stole a $10,000 Chevy.

IN RELATABLE TOWNS

For Lent, the town of Centerville, North Carolina has given up — full stop. Following a vote against local property taxes, the municipality of 89 residents is voting to scratch its charter and disband current local government. #relatable

IN FLORALS

Florafetti — one of the most Chapel Hill/Carrboro things you've never heard of — is coming back in season. There are about 45 words spelled out of artistically placed plants scattered all around town, and half of them are now coming into bloom.

IN COOKING COMPETITIONS

Hope Gardens is hosting The Great Carolina Cook-Off on March 30, thus officially melding together my fandoms of "The Great British Bake Off," foods that aren't dessert and the town of Chapel Hill. And also of Molly De Marco.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition