DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Touching Spirit Duck

Good morning, and welcome to the first day of Lent! This year I gave up masculinity. Or all food that isn't Tex-Mex. I haven't decided yet.

I have something to admit. Sophomore year of high school, I had a pet duck named Butters. I bought her from Tractor Supply around Easter because she looked lonely and I have the impulse control of a basset hound — and her adoption was low-key really shady because you're not allowed to buy poultry alone because they need friends. Butters grew up convinced she was a person for two months until we could find another duck.

Butters, rest her soul, is why Carrboro talked about continuing to require its residential chicken owners to keep a minimum of three birds during yesterday's Board of Aldermen meeting. You know, among discussions of other pressing matters, like implementing police body cameras.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Embody Carolina is looking to bring attention to the people of color, men and members of the LGBTQ community affected by eating disorders during this year's awareness week.
  • A group of students recently received a grant to put in solar panels at East Chapel Hill High. The school has until 2018 to decide where they'll be installed.
  • CNN recently reported on a study that suggests ~higher~ performing students are more likely than their peers to regularly drink and smoke weed. We took to the Pit to ask UNC students what they thought of the finding.
  • The NAACP is calling for a complete economic boycott of North Carolina to protest recent legislation pushed through by the General Assembly.

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone was reported for larceny of three cookies at Harris Teeter on Thursday. Another person was reported for threatening to beat someone up if he didn't give him his money on Wednesday.

IN UNCELEBRITIES

Meet Harrison Toohey, perhaps better known as his alter-ego, "the dude on Sakai's homepage." Just last semester he was merely a junior global studies major. Now he's famous enough to qualify for performing at Jubilee :')

They grow up so fast.

IN STATE NEWS

A North Carolina county has issued a ban on all new solar farms due to concerns from residents. However, it is not the same county that wanted to ban solar panels a couple years ago for stealing sunlight from plants. I asked.

IN ATHLETICISM

Our sports desk is launching a new weekly series to point out the walk-up songs of choice for UNC's baseball team. This week: Brian Miller with "Your Love" by The Outfield. And on Sundays, "Washed by the Water" by NEEDTOBREATHE. (Not going to lie; I've never heard either.)