DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Going for glory

Good morning!

Last night, we started an annual process of voting on DTH staff superlatives for the end of the year. As the ballots come in, I'm stuck anxiously waiting to see if I'll re-secure the superlatives I won last year — namely, I'm pulling for a second run of the "Office Wine Mom" award (which, in reality, is a paper plate with my name written in crayon taped to the wall above my desk).

If I'm lucky, I'll go 2-0 — but the real victory here would be getting my legacy immortalized in DTH history, preferably somewhere in a glass display case in the office or something.

Very similarly, some UNC students are petitioning to get Kennedy Meeks' jersey in the rafters of the Smith Center to honor his contributions to the men's basketball team this season. So far, they've collected more than 1,000 signatures.

For reference, I've received five votes.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• In a 13-11 loss to Syracuse on Sunday, UNC women's lacrosse received a rough wake-up call and dropped its 18-game winning streak.
  • A recent study in North Carolina public schools found that low-income black students were far more likely to graduate high school and consider going to college if they had black teachers.
  • For any underclassmen sticking around for the summer or fellow seniors in danger of failing a class, there's a new Maymester course that lets you use 3-D printing and lasers!

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone reported a suspicious condition around 7 a.m. on Wednesday because someone's dog was making weird noises. Another person reported damage to property after a rock flew out from under a lawnmower and hit a vehicle.

IN THE LEGISLATURE

A new bill in the N.C. House would categorize assaults on police officers as hate crimes. Whether hate crimes would start actually being prosecuted remains to be seen.

IN BITTER SINGLE NEWS

In case you missed it, Justin Jackson just announced he's entering the draft and long-term personal commitment. Meet his fiancée Brooke Copeland, who's a junior women’s basketball player for the University of Florida.

IN BLASTS FROM THE PAST

Silent Sam was spray-painted again Friday, this time with the phrase "Love is understanding why others hate." The University said an investigation into the incident is ongoing.