DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: ILY, Linda's

Good morning!

This isn't unusual for Daily Tar Heel staffers, but I never saw the inside of a bar until I got to Linda's on Franklin Street. Since that fateful day, Linda's has been there for all our firsts — first trivia night, first time closing down a bar, first legal drink.

Danny was the first of my close friends to turn 21, over winter break our junior year. Still very much 20, I drove back to Chapel Hill just for the occasion.

We danced to Nicki Minaj at his house in Carrboro and then went to Linda's just before midnight to capture Danny's first legal drink — a Linda's birthday shot, which he had to partially snort — on Snapchat.

Then everybody else went to bars and I went home, because I was not old enough to actually celebrate a 21st birthday.

Now, today, Swerve has a legitimately seven-hour-long Linda's-themed playlist from Assistant General Manager Brandon Long. Happy listening.

— Jane (and Danny)

QUICK HITS

• Although 77 percent of adults in North Carolina identify as Christian, the state's congressional delegation is composed entirely of representatives who are Christian.
  • This exam season, students can get a cozy place to snack and study at the Carolina Inn. It's called "The Ultimate UNC Chapel Hill Exam Week Package," and it can be yours for the low, low price of $199.
  • UNC communication professors are responding to pushback on a grant their department received to combat the influence of violent extremist propaganda. A petition started by UNC students claims the initiative unfairly targets the Muslim community.

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone broke into a car and stole body spray, a CD wallet, an aux cord and a road atlas around noon Saturday. Another person was "shouting, cursing and creating a disturbance while intoxicated" on Lindsay Street Thursday.

IN THE LEGISLATURE

A bill in the General Assembly would cut sheriff-run background checks out of the process for getting a handgun permit. The process would instead be routed through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which opponents say relies on an incomplete/flawed national database.

IN PETTY NAMES

The proposed "Tax Returns Uniformly Made Public Act" would require presidential candidates to release their tax returns in order to appear on ballots in North Carolina. The T.R.U.M.P. Act's sponsor's reasoning for filing it was that "our democracy deserves this kind of transparency.”

IN CARTOONS

If you've ever wanted to learn how to draw Chancellor Carol Folt, we've got you covered. Well, assistant opinion editor and cartoonist Emily Yue has you covered. I still struggle to draw a straight line.