Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Million dollar baby

Dear DTH Readers,

This week UNC received a $1 million award for excellence in its recruitment and admittance of students from low-income families, winning over schools like Stanford and Brown. 

Although I try to keep these letters relatively light-hearted, I'm going to be real with you all. I come from a low-income family, and I would not be able to attend UNC if not for the scholarship they gave me. The opportunity UNC grants its low-income students is a valuable one. It's a chance at an education, a better future, and you can't put a price tag on that — not even $1 million. 

Celebrating sports is fun, and UNC football definitely has a reason to celebrate this week. But I encourage readers, current students, alumni, etc, to also look at what UNC is doing off the field for low-income students like me, and celebrate that just as much as we would a championship trophy. 

— Leah

QUICK HITS

• Saying the tap water has been pretty gross recently is an understatement. So we talked to manager of OWASA and figured out what exactly is going on and when we can expect (and smell, and taste) some changes.
  • Most of you probably didn't get a chance to head over to Bonnaroo in Tennessee this year, I know I didn't. But lucky for us, the DTH knows someone who did, and they're back with a full report. It's like we didn't miss a thing.

AT A GLANCE RECOMMENDS

• Lisa Furukawa // June 24 at Honeysuckle Tea House, Chapel Hill - If you haven't been out to Honeysuckle Tea House this summer, Saturday night is the perfect time to go. Sip a warm tea latte while Furukawa sings you to bliss with her folk pop tunes. 
  •  Triangle Vegfest Fun 5K // June 25 at Southern Village Green, Chapel Hill - If you like to run, I can't relate. But you can dress up in your favorite fruit/veggie and run in this 5K, while I head over to the market happening at the same time and eat my weight in tamales. We're all winners!
  • Basic Longsword Class // June 25 at Cedar Falls Park, Chapel Hill - Live out your medieval fantasies in this sword fighting class and learn to fight like all your favorite heroes. I'm coming for you, Zorro. 

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition