DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Gerrymandered!

Dear DTH Readers,

Let me a tell you a story about little six-year-old Leah. Besides being the most adorable first-grader you've ever seen, she was the queen of sass. Maybe I was kind of mean, but hey, I was six (and adorable, so I got away with most of it).

Anyways, there's one day from my first grade career that stands out the most: the last day. We had watched a movie and basically been in darkness all day, at least that's how I remember it. Now, we've all had that feeling when you step out of a movie theater after three hours, and suddenly your eyes burn and you feel like the Wicked Witch of the West, but instead of "I'm melting!" you yell "I'm burning!" Or maybe you haven't, I kind of went off on a tangent here. 

It was that feeling, except for with a bunch of six-year-olds, and when we went outside for recess, someone said, "The sun is so bright!" 

I replied, voice dripping with sarcasm, thinking myself to be oh-so-cheeky, with "Thank you, Captain Obvious!" accompanied by a little snide scowl.  

So, on Monday, when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a prior ruling from 2011 that found North Carolina’s legislative districts to be racially gerrymandered, take one guess as to what my response was. 

— Leah

QUICK HITS

• All of your student loans could be to the same company, as the Department of Education proposes a monopoly on student loans and attempts to save taxpayer money in the process. My only question is, will they ever make college free?
  • This is the third time that this gas station has been affected by credit card skimmers.The third time, y'all. 
  • No. 2 ranked UNC baseball lost in the NCAA Tournament to Davidson, but three players will most likely be chosen early in the MLB Draft next week, trading college baseball for a major paycheck. So, are they really the losers here?
  • It's a mental health program that uses puppies to treat people with mental illness, but it could be defunded. 

AT A GLANCE RECOMMENDS

Comin' atchya with those weekend date plans, or just weekend fun plans if you're me.

• Full Moon Fever Bike Ride // Saturday, June 10 at Bean Traders Coffee, Durham, N.C. —  You. Your bike. The moonlight. The American Tobacco Trail. Name a better way to spend your Saturday evening.
  • Over 30's Dance Party with Elbruque // Saturday, June 10 at Tandem, Carrboro, N.C. —  We're a college newspaper, but we haven't forgotten about all you lovely over-30 kids. Dance your booty off with Tandem, but it's classier because over-30, right?
  • James Vincent McMorrow // Sunday, June 11 at Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw, N.C. —  The Haw River Ballroom is just 20 minutes outside of Chapel Hill, and if you've never been, you need to. Seriously, look at pictures online while listening to McMorrow on Spotify; you'll buy your tickets pretty quickly. 

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition