DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Skulls and starters

Readers, it's time for a confession: I'm a Tar Heel now, but I was a Pirate as a child. Growing up near ECU, where my parents met and matriculated, I went to a lot of football games. I think I owned three separate cheerleader outfits throughout elementary school (I also went through a lot of growth spurts). My enthusiasm for the game hasn't survived in college, but after ACC Kickoff it looks like I might need to revive it. 

UNC's taken a major blow to its starting lineup following the graduation and the NFL Draft, which should make its offensive line fun to watch for sheer unpredictability. And while the defense has a new coordinator, it should remain pretty consistent with the past two seasons, balancing out the thrill of a new quarterback (and running backs, and wide receivers... I can keep going). The secondary is looking to avenge the strangest stat of 2016, and the ACC in general is prospering, according to Brennan Doherty.

So while it's no Dowdy-Ficklen, I might turn up at Kenan Stadium this fall. And I'll definitely return to my roots in time for senior year — ECU and UNC have a game scheduled in September of 2018.

- Rachel

QUICK HITS

• DSI Comedy Theater will shut down Aug. 28 following allegations of sexual and professional misconduct against owner Zach Ward.
  • The UNC Center for Civil Rights may be facing a litigation ban from UNC's Board of Governors, which would keep them from representing clients and acting as legal counsel. This could hurt the law school's reputation, according to a former dean of the school.
  • Elaine Westbrooks was chosen as the new vice provost for University Libraries and she says she's the "luckiest person in the world." 

AT A GLANCE RECOMMENDS

• La La Land Screening // July 20 at the Raleigh Rose Garden - In case you're one of the few people that still haven't seen La La Land, or if you just want to see it again on a big screen (I get it, streaming on your laptop just doesn't compare), you can see it for free in Raleigh, complete with food trucks and craft beer.
  • Beat the Heat Lawn Party // July 22 at the Weaver Street Lawn in Carrboro, N.C. - Family fun, Carrboro-style. Live music, games for the kids, shady trees and an all around good time.
  • Downpour Dog // July 23 at Clouds Brewing in Durham, N.C. - Toast the end of the weekend with a $5 hour-long yoga class and an excuse to day drink. You can definitely count me in, for the latter at least. 

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition