DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: First weekend of class!

Happy end of FWOC, UNC! Here's some sports content and updates from the community to round out your week:

QUICK HITS

• City editor Rebecca Ayers sat down with Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger to talk about town development, affordable housing and Silent Sam. 
  • UNC's Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia Center was presented with a Center for Disease Control and Prevention grant on Thursday, which was accepted by U.S. Congressional Rep. David Price. 
  • The UNControllables hosted their annual event “What UNC Doesn’t Want you to Know: Inside the University’s Dirty History of Exploitation, Scandal, and Racism” on Thursday. They discussed the current controversy around Silent Sam, where students have vowed to remain until the statue's been taken down. 
  • Who needs a Silent Sam protest when we can protest OWASA?
  • Listen to our audio roundup on the week's University news here.

SPORTS FRIDAY!

Nothing says beginning the weekend like reading a heartwarming variety of of stories on our fall sports, which you can do below:
  • Two brothers. Two sports. Three countries. One indescribable bond. Read our feature on Robert and Jeremy Kelly here.
  • Read our preview on the men's soccer team before they take on Providence in tonight's season opener. 
  • Nine UNC football alums are preparing for their NFL debut this fall. Here's how we think they'll fare. 
  • They're tall, they're young, they're ready to win an ACC championship. Read our volleyball season preview here.

ARTS, ENTERTAINMENT!

Feeling artsy? There's plenty of stuff for you to do this weekend:

• Attend the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation benefit concert at Cat's Cradle today and Saturday to support UNC's Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
  • Check out the currently featured pieces in the Peck Collection at the Ackland Art Museum — a Rembrandt drawing is on display!
  • Submit a work of art to Chapel Hill Public Library for Banned Books Week, which you can learn about here.
  • Support local filmmakers (and newspapers) by buying tickets to our premiere of Project Bucket! If you purchase them at the Pit tomorrow from 12:15-1:15, you can get a free national championship magazine.