DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Berries and basketball

I know we're all used to hearing about a certain Berry when it comes to UNC basketball, but it turns out women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell has a few of her own. Figure out what I'm talking about (as well as updates on weekend sports, the Center for Civil Rights and local food news) below: 

QUICK HITS

• Sylvia Hatchell has been sending donations from her blueberry patch to the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center for 17 years. But the donations became personal when, in 2013, she discovered that she had acute myeloid leukemia.
  • There's trouble brewing in University Place — but more importantly, there's beer. Astoundingly, the Chapel Hill Farmer's Market's first annual BrewFest drew more of a crowd than their second most popular event, Tomato-Fest.
  • Tacos, Mediterranean and gluten-free bakeries have arrived in Chapel Hill. Read all about it in our latest installment of All Up in Your Business.

UNIVERSITY NEWS

• The UNC-Chapel Hill Faculty Executive Committee has asked the Board of Governors to vote against closing the Center for Civil Rights.
  • UNC alum Jeff Mittelstadt's film "Staring Down Fate" received the Best Feature Film award this month at the Sunrise 45 Film Festival. Senior writer Mark Burnett interviewed Mittelstadt about his film experience and the journey to an award-winning film.
  • Enrollment in UNC undergraduate and graduate teaching programs increased by 6 percent in 2017, marking the first increase in years.
  • Read our opinion staff's takes on Silent Sam: Why Carol Folt isn't completely at fault, why the controversy is nothing new and why columnist Claude Wilson protests.

WEEKEND SPORTS