DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Bids to bile

Readers, I am genuinely thrilled to inform you that it is Friday. The labor of the week has faded into Labor Day weekend, the campus squirrels are clinging to lecturers and the sorority girls of UNC are puking. Please get better, y'all. 

CAMPUS

• Two protests took place on campus yesterday — one leaving Silent Sam as the Department of Public Safety removed signs and belongings from the sit-in and one marching there as a demonstration in favor of the Center for Civil Rights.
  • Sorority-girls-to-be will have to hang on a bit longer. Panhellenic recruitment has been postponed for two days following a stomach virus outbreak in Greek life. 
  • Labor Day or LAB! day? It's all this weekend, as the campus theatre troupe performs a 24-hour festival over Friday and Saturday. 
  • Al Bowers of Al's Burger Shack spoke at a capstone entrepreneurship class yesterday about his history in business and plans to open a new Shack on Sept. 18. 

FOOTBALL

In honor of tomorrow's season opener, here are the stories from our football preview:

• Austin Proehl is a lot of things — son of a former NFL player and current Panthers coach, eternal jokester, workhorse to a fault — but tomorrow he'll be something new: the No. 1 wide receiver for the Tar Heels.
  • UNC's three starting linebackers provide stability in a lineup filled with unknowns, something that's aided by their performance last year.
  • Jalen Dalton is astoundingly unremarkable for a 6-foot-6  former No. 1 player in North Carolina high schools. But this season, the sleeping giant of UNC football is ready to wake up.
  • We still don't know who'll be starting at quarterback on Saturday. Neither did the team, as of Monday. Running backs are also still competing for more touches this season.
  • “He doesn’t like the thought of defeat." Donnie Miles has something to prove.
  • And on a less athletic level, here's how regular old students are feeling about tomorrow's game.

POTPOURRI

• UNC Health Care will merge with Carolinas HealthCare System. Together, the organizations currently serve almost half of North Carolina's population.
  • New NC voting district lines are awaiting approval — but officials fear they're worse than the previously gerrymandered districts.
  • We talked to Holocaust survivor, author and Chapel Hill resident Esther Lederman about recent events in Charlottesville and Orange County.