Happy Halloweekend, UNC! Before putting on your final touches on your costumes, check out some quick headlines:
- Wegmans is coming to Chapel Hill, bringing 350 new jobs, a $12 hourly wage and a New York take on grocery shopping.
- UNC wrestling is ready to match up against whomever it takes to be the best, including former Olympians, coaches and some of the best talent in the nation.
- “From what I can tell, they’re people with too much privilege and too much time on their hands." An anti-abortion protest took place in the quad today, along with a pro-choice counter-protest.
- The No. 8 Miami Hurricanes may be the toughest opponents UNC football has faced yet this summer.
- Curriculum changes may soon be under way. Potential changes include an MFIT/LFIT fusion, and required courses that cannot be fulfilled before a student’s first semester, which is bad news for Advanced Placement credits.
- “We’re not pulling weeds. We’re cultivating flowers.” UNC’s STEM professors are using active learning methods to increase learning gains in four departments.
- UNC-system president Margaret Spellings is taking part in the My Future NC commission, which hopes to pave the way for a comprehensive, competitive future for the state’s education system.
FAR FROM ME
- Before the upcoming show at this weekend’s Deadhead Masquerade Ball, lead guitarist of Cosmic Charlie sat down with us to discuss Halloween shows and the Grateful Dead.
- Students have a lot to say about the UNC's newest transportation initiative.