Happy Tuesday, UNC! Tonight will mark President Donald Trump’s first State of the Union address — read below to find out more about the state of the state, the University and more:
- In the second part of our series on the opioid epidemic, we're examining the ways that municipal governments across North Carolina are dealing with — and ill-equipped for — the national issue.
- America runs on Dunkin’ — but the franchise’s location on East Franklin Street wants customers to be able to drive-thru Dunkin’ too.
- A recent school shooting at Wake Forest University is one of the 11 that have occurred so far in 2018, raising questions about security and alert programs on college campuses.
- Members of the starting lineup for UNC men’s basketball have each played at least 26.9 minutes per game this season. How much of a factor is fatigue in UNC's ACC struggles?
- Remember the pain of getting and living through braces? The next generation of middle schoolers may not have to suffer as much. Researchers at the UNC School of Dentistry are developing methods of 3-D scanning as an alternative to teeth molds.
- A unanimous vote by the Undergraduate Senate showed support for a Latinx center on campus, continuing a movement that’s been at UNC for years.
STATE AND NATIONAL
- Sexual assault, free speech and DACA, oh my! All these — and more — made the American Association of State Colleges and Universities’ list of the top 10 policy issues for higher education in 2018.
- After pressure from the ACLU, a book about mass incarceration that was banned from North Carolina prisons is allowed back on shelves.
- “I would guess it’s probably going to go about the same – like pretty divisive – as things generally are with the current administration.” President Trump’s first State of the Union address is tonight. To prepare, we asked UNC students what they think will go down.