Happy Wednesday, UNC! With one day to go before we beat Dook, we’ve gathered some headlines to help you get ready. And since the rest of the world is still spinning, we have the rest of the news for you as well.
- In his three years at UNC, Luke Maye has gone from walk-on to Elite Eight icon to ACC Player of the Year contender. On his tumultuous journey, there’s only one person who never doubted him — himself.
- The Orange County Board of Commissioners and residents are clashing over a potential detention center and agricultural facility. Locals say it will have adverse effects on nearby residents, but the vice chair says the current center is inhumane.
- Yeah, you’ve got 99 problems — but this Valentine’s day, a pet doesn’t have to be one, thanks to the Orange County Animal Center.
DUKE GAME PREP
- Wait, why do we hate Duke anyway? We're unpacking the origin of college basketball’s biggest rivalry.
- So you didn’t get tickets. Thankfully, you have us to tell you where to enjoy the game anyway (and with the help of tranquilizers and a huge box, you can probably still get in the Dean Dome).
- “In that moment we were just Tar Heels, and we were just really happy that we won.” If you’re planning on rushing Franklin any time soon, here’s what the famous UNC tradition has been like over the years.
- COLUMN: “So this is my request, boys of basketball: Tonight, I not only want you to win, I want Krzyzewski calling home to his mother with tears in his eyes.” We all love telling Duke to go to hell, so here are some extra, vintage reasons to hate the Blue Devils.
- UNC has a second famous MJ: the School of Media and Journalism! Check out the new inductees to the school’s North Carolina Media and Journalism Hall of Fame.
- A group of demonstrators took to Polk Place Tuesday for self-declared “Anus Awareness Day” to protest gay and women’s rights.
- Some reassuring news: college is expensive and student loans are confusing, whether you’re an average student or the U.S. Department of Education.