DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Monk's the Word

Good Morning y'all, and Happy Tuesday

Last summer, I found myself in a car with my boyfriend's parents taking what I refer to as: The Religious Tour. Our first stop was a perfectly-reconstructed Hindu temple in the middle of Lilburn, Ga. Many of you have probably never heard of Lilburn. Neither had I, but out of a bunch of rolling hills rose a beautiful Hindu temple brought over from India and reconstructed piece by piece. While the sight of this awe-inspiring monolith in the middle of rural Georgia was confusing enough, our second stop was just as unexpected.

Georgia is home to a Catholic monastery. It houses Catholic monks and nuns as they worship and cultivate bonsai trees. Our original intent for visiting this out-of-the-ordinary establishment was to view the incredibly well-kept bonsai garden. My boyfriend's mom and I are great fans of tiny foliage.

Carrboro has recently been graced with its own form of Monastic art as monks from the Drepung Gomang Monastery visited this past week to create a sand mandala on their American tour. 

The Rundown

• Warning: Prepare to be impressed. This Tar Heel, originally from Turkey, has earned a fellowship for her work in global health. Oh, and she's spending the summer in Switzerland. 
  • UNC has the No. 1 seed in the upcoming ACC tournament. Here's our preview of this week's games and the journey of the team that started the season losing to Gardner-Webb
  • After 20 years of coaching, Mike Fox has just won ACC Coach of the Year for the first time. He joins three players receiving ACC honors. 
  • Baseball wasn't the only spring sports team to get some hardware. Check out our other athletes that earned ACC honors this season. 

Psst.

Hey y'all. Today on our social media channels we will being asking you some questions. Check out our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for polls! Tell us what you think!

When did you know.....

For all of you that attend Carolina, there is probably a moment when you knew this school made sense for you. Maybe you still hated the food or a few of your classes. Maybe this was the last place you wanted to go. Maybe it was love at first basketball game. Whatever it was, we want you take a moment and tell us when you knew UNC was where you should be. 

Click Here!

Tunesday

If you haven't noticed, the Tar Heels are entering/in the middle of the postseason and killing it. We made a perfect hype playlist for all your game-watching needs.

Events

• May 22- Durham Public Schools Spring Art Show- Support local budding artists with this show at Northgate Mall. Who knows? You could see the next Andy Warhol. (Northgate Mall)
  • May 24-Not Your Grandma's Bingo- Grab your cats and knitting needles and get to this fundraising event for the Orange County Rape Crisis Center. Best dressed wins a prize!(OCRCC)
  • May 22 through May 27-ACC Baseball Tournament- Watch the Diamond Heels all this week as they try for the ACC championship. Get your dates and times for when UNC plays here.(Durham Bulls Athletic Park)

"You can taste the symmetry!"

Monk (from Monk)