DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The week is done

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

Y'all. This week is over. I don't know if it is just me, but this week has felt like maybe 10 years. Partially and probably due to the fact  that my phone decided to explode this past weekend, so I spend half the week without a workable phone.

Not only that, but due to this mishap, I lacked a proper alarm. This led to me oversleeping and missing the second day of my summer school class. (Don't worry, Mom. I went to office hours.)

Then, I got to go through the Hell that is the Apple store, got lost on the way there and got gas before realizing there was a place 10 cents cheaper down the road.

I'm not the only one that is disgruntled about their week. Members of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School Board recently received their 2018-2019 budget. And not everyone's happy about it.

The Rundown

• A lawsuit challenging the controversial HB2 replacement, HB142, has hit the North Carolina Middle District court. The plaintiffs, including a UNC staff member, seek clarification and safety for transgender people using the bathroom. 
  • Sponsored: Jobs on Franklin are in high demand, and lucky for you, MidiCi is hiring. Half-price pizza and on-the-job training make this a perfect summer side hustle.

The Deep Dive

This week UNC was found in violation of Title IX. While the University has made efforts in addressing the complaints originally filed five years ago, this story is still on-going. Here is a look at the some Title IX issues UNC has dealt with, including some related to this case. 

• In 2013, five UNC students submitted a complaint to the U.S Department of Education claiming that UNC "violated the rights of sexual assault victims and facilitated a hostile environment for students reporting sexual assault."
  • The year prior, the students who would then go on to file the complaint, spoke about their experiences reporting sexual assault to the University and the treatment they received.
  •  In 2017, U.S Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos issued new guidelines concerning campus sexual assault cases and the "Dear Colleague Letter" put in place by the Obama administration.  
  • Months later, Chancellor Carol Folt announced that UNC would be re-evaluating it's sexual harassment and discrimination guidelines. Possible changes would include enhanced training and prevention measures. 

Plan Your Weekend

It's time to party. Or paint. Or just watch a movie. Chapel Hill and Carrboro AND Durham are all bursting with events to keep you and yours busy this weekend. Get out and celebrate the beginning of the second half of summer with our Plan Your Weekend guide.

"No one ever said life was fair. Just eventful"

Carol Burnett