DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Most Important Meal of the Day

Good Morning and Happy Thursday!

Fun fact about me: I used to compete heavily in high school speech and debate. Now, I didn't do the typical debate style you see on TV between presidential candidates. I did speech events, which are 10x weirder to explain.

One of my events involved compiling poetry into a 10-minute arc centered around a theme. You acted each poem out as a different character and it was a whole thing. Anyway, one season, I got lazy since this wasn't my main event, and needed to make a set really quick. So I chose the theme: breakfast. 

I somehow made it to the final round of a big tournament. Just for reference, the other themes that round were: race, bullying, toxic masculinity and the dangers of unreachable beauty standards. I came in third. With breakfast.

Speaking of big issues and breakfast staples, a locally-screened documentary brought weight to the topic with a discussion on gender and the world of coffee. The event was at Open Eye Cafe and was sponsored by Carrboro Coffee Roasters.

The North Carolina Commission on Inclusion was created by Governor Roy Cooper in 2017. Photo courtesy of Lydia Lavelle.

The Rundown

• A Chapel Hill Police officer has been chosen to participate in possibly the largest event in Special Olympics history. He will join athletes and law enforcement alike in Abu Dhabi.
  • Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle is getting a new gig. She has been appointed to the N.C. Commission on Inclusion established by Governor Roy Cooper in 2017.

The Wayback Machine

So, Granville Towers used to have a pool and I am so hurt that it does not anymore. Anyway, have you done all the things on this ~essential~ summer list from 1992?

Plan Your Weekend

It's our last guide of the summer. There are lots of chances for brews and movies this weekend along with some of your favorite summer classics, both in movie and activity form. Enjoy this last weekend of July as summer winds to a close, and happy LDOC to all in summer school. 

"What nicer thing can you do for someone than to make them breakfast?"

Anthony Bourdain

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition