DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The Party's Over

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

Well ... we have reached the end of the summer. The paper will be taking a short break while we get ready to go for the fall when we will be back in full force with great content and new ways of getting it to you.

Thank you for joining us on this experimental summer — our first summer with no print product! You stuck with us through newsletter glitches, random anecdotes and the ups and downs of summer news reporting, and we appreciate that.

The newsletter will get picked back up by our online managing editor in the fall, and I'm sure it is going to be amazing. Though, I will miss telling you my stories and being a part of your morning news briefing.

We hope you have an excellent rest of your summer and a fantastic start to the school year!

Now, let's get to the news!

The Rundown

• The robots are taking over and this time it's the parking. Parking attendants in Chapel Hill are worried about about their jobs within the new pre-paid system, but Chapel Hill hopes to calm their fears. 
  • This UNC dentistry student has more than just grad school on her plate. She is a singer/songwriter, and published a whole album in her year before dental school. Talk about extracurricular. 

The Deep Dive

This summer has flown by! You may have missed some of the big stories that came out this summer. Here's a roundup of some of our biggest stories of the summer. This way you'll be all caught up when the school year starts again.

• A Supreme Court decision to legalize sports gambling could mean big changes for this underground college scene. Students and faculty weighed in on this new beginning for the gambling world.
  • Student Body President Savannah Putnam's high school tweets sparked discussion about race, social media and the use of the n-word. 
  • Football coach Larry Fedora gave controversial comments surrounding the correlation between football and CTE. He mentioned a lack of supporting data and the potential dangers of fear growing around the sport. 
  • UNC was found in violation of Title IX after a complaint was filed five years ago. The University has already begun to make changes to address this issue.
  • Multiple football players could be in violation of NCCA regulations for selling shoes online. The University self-reported this incident in February. The story is still developing. 

Plan Your Weekend

Celebrate this last weekend of July with a weekend packed with events. We've got a guide for your whole weekend. Get out there and grab a brew, see a movie and hit the town with our Plan Your Weekend roundup.

"I've been burned out for years now."

Maddy Arrowood (Summer Editor)  

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition