DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The midnight hour is close at hand

For my junior prom, my friend Leah and I specifically learned the entirety of the “Thriller” dance just so we could request it to the DJ and embarrass our dates. 

For weeks, we practiced it in the comfort of her living room. The amount of times we shouted, “Hip flower! Sassy walk!” in the vicinity of our parents was a little embarrassing, but by the time prom rolled around, we had perfected it. 

So, imagine our dismay when the prom DJ refused to play “Thriller” at prom. We begged, we pleaded, we even offered him money. He refused. He looked directly at the infinite amount of songs on his MacBook and told us that he “didn’t have it."

I hated him then and I hate him now. Weeks of practice, wasted. 

Therefore, I'd argue it’s his own fault that we put on Leah’s iPod and did the dance anyway. We could stream it, why couldn't he? It wasn't like he was stranded without service, only left with the few select songs he had. 

Which is, funny enough, what happened to assistant sports editor Holt McKeithan last week, making him the perfect person for bring you this week's office DJ playlist. A perfect way to get you through your day. 

Stuff to know 

A week ago, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce announced that income and housing prices would increase. This statement fits into the larger conversation of the affordability (or lack thereof) of housing in town, and has some lower-income individuals wondering if they can even afford to live here. 

Today, some of those arrested in relation to Silent Sam's removal and subsequent protest are set to appear in court. Beyond this, three of the 12 arrested have said that they will be holding a press conference today. Read more on this here. 

Let's play ball 

Ready for football season? Apparently, so is UNC (kind of). Going into the season, the UNC football team has two leading rushers that could prove to be a strong point for the team overall, but a weakened defensive line might be able to slow their roll — especially after three suspensions and an injury to the line this summer. 

Things to do

Sign up for our arts & entertainment newsletter, Offline! We'll be publishing events, guides and nightlife to do all around campus and Chapel Hill. 

"If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with" 

Michael Jackson