DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Alright everyone, gird your loins

For the past two summers, I’ve interned in the fashion industry. I feel really privileged to have had those opportunities, and really loved both of my experiences wholeheartedly. But without fail, every time I’ve told someone where I’ve worked, I’ve gotten the same response:

“Oh my God, just like The Devil Wears Prada!” 

Largely, that’s incorrect — mostly because it makes it sound like I worked for monstrous ice queens who constantly tore me down.

That never happened. My bosses were kind, generous and dedicated to my learning. I maintained a good work-life balance, I rarely ran personal errands for my bosses, and if there was ever a closet where I could just get clothing to wear, I never saw it. 

But interning in fashion (... interning in general …) can be very hard. There were definitely days during my first internship that I thought, “Oh my god, I can’t do this anymore,” or, “This is way too much work.” I have a distinct memory of crying in a cab, on my way to a photoshoot, thinking I was surely going to have to quit or get fired.

But I really loved my jobs, and I miss them dearly. In so many ways, they were completely uncomplicated, and that was all I could’ve really asked for. 

That’s also what many off-campus work-study employers and student employees want, too, but instead are facing many financial obstacles presented by the University this year. 

News? For a newsletter? Groundbreaking 

The Kenan-Flagler Business School has launched the Center for the Business of Health, available to undergraduate, graduate and master's students. The school hopes to keep up with the economic giant of health care in the United States, and will be collaborating with other professional schools on campus. 

From Sept. 12-30, PlayMaker's Repertory Company will be putting on "Sherwood: The Adventures of Robin Hood." Learn more about the show's inclusive casting and original music here.  

On Aug. 30, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce and the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership sent a letter to Carol Folt stating that the unrest from Silent Sam has hurt local business, and urging her to keep the statue down. 

A million girls would kill for that team 

Still hurting from the loss against California on Saturday? Yesterday, head coach Larry Fedora offered his thoughts about what went wrong, and gave insight into the season ahead. 

But we all love a win! On Sunday, UNC field hockey beat Pennsylvania in a 8-0 win. See more about star players, and what this could mean for the rest of the season, here. 

Things to do 

Drag queens from around the Triangle are performing hits from the likes of Cher and Whitney at Cat's Cradle on Friday. Buy your tickets early, since both shows sold out in February and June. 

"Yes, because that's really what this whole multibillion-dollar industry is all about, isn't it? Inner beauty." 

The Devil Wears Prada