DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Hiding out in Hinton James

I had a pretty rough first year of college, and it took me awhile to adjust to my new life here. 

I missed my old room, I missed driving, I missed my dog. I was anxious about going out, classes and being in Chapel Hill on the weekend. I felt like I’d never really find my footing here, and I used to dream about when I’d finally get to leave. 

Today, my feelings on UNC are very different — I’ve found my best friends here, found my passions, grown as a person. I’m torn between both feeling ready to leave and desperately clutching to my life here to avoid finding a job. 

I wish I had someone to tell me that feeling was normal when I was a first year. That no one really had their head on right. That everyone was a little lost. 

A few weeks ago, the DTH spoke with Black Student Movement President Qieara Lesesne and Vice President Alexandria Robinson about navigating your first year, and they gave some great advice. Check the video out here. 

On moving into the week 

UNC students studying abroad at the Chinese University of Hong Kong banded together to seek shelter from Typhoon Mangkhut as it hit Southern Asia this week. For the five students in the affected area, it made for a memorable experience. 

What would you do with one million dollars?  For three UNC students, they'd use it to help accelerate their startup, Phyta, a business that aims to make sustainable resources out of seaweed. Read more about their business, competing for the Hult Prize now. 

On moving on from Hurricane Florence 

Looking to help those affected by Hurricane Florence? Here's a guide on how to donate your money, goods and/or time to those in need. 

In the wake of the storm,  many homes and communities are left with significant damage, and water levels in rivers across the state are expected to keep rising. To move on from Florence, many will have to face great devastation to their homes, neighborhoods and towns. 

UNC athletics is holding a donation drive to aid those affected by Hurricane Florence this week. Along with this, UNC football will use their equipment truck to help transport aid to damaged communities. 

Things to do 

Close your eyes and think of basketball season. Here are five key games that'll shape men's basketball this year. 

"Wild and fluorescent, come home to my heart"

Lorde