DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: How to stop doing everything that's bad for you

I am an avid reader of the Goop newsletter, a byproduct of Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle brand. In it, Goop gives you recipes, style tips and ways to live your best life. 

But here's the gag: None of the advice she gives you is plausible. None of the clothes she recommends are affordable. Her recipes are far too organic and healthy for me to ever think about making them. 

Goop preaches a lifestyle of wellness that I'll never even get close to reaching. Sleeping more, eating well, using detoxifying salt shampoos. Listening to healers and using crystals and doing this thing where you live in complete silence for 10 days. 

I'm utterly obsessed with it because it's nothing that I think I'll ever be. My idea of wellness is eating macaroni and cheese in my pajamas. Instead of salt shampoo, I use dry shampoo to avoid washing my hair. Instead of healing through 10 days of silence, I just never shut up. Instead of searching to find myself, I search for excuses to watch reality television instead of studying. 

Lucky for me, UNC medical school resident Alison Raybould is going to be on this season of Survivor, which premieres tonight. After four years, I finally get to blend UNC with my outside studies. 

On campus today 

Yesterday, the newly-renovated Karen Shelton Stadium was unveiled for the UNC field hockey team, making it the first UNC athletic playing facility to be named after a woman. It's hard to believe that such a successful career began with Shelton not wanting to be a head coach. Read more about the barriers Shelton overcame in her career to bring in championships, awards and incomparable legacy of coaching.

Yesterday, an individual named Sarah Ferrell was issued a warning of trespass after posing as a UNC student and trying to get into Granville Tower. An individual by the same name has been reported to NC State officials, and the reports have led to a lot of conversation regarding the girl's identity and motives. 

On Thursday night, UNC football will welcome back their teammates who were suspended after they sold team-issued shoes, including last year's starting quarterback Chazz Surratt and defensive end Malik Carney, when they take on Miami. 

Free speech 

Yesterday was UNC's tenth annual First Amendment Day, and Silent Sam was central to the day's discussion, especially during the panel called Public Art, Public Memorials and the First Amendment. 

On Monday, the Chancellor and Board of Trustees announced that they'd created an email for suggestions about Silent Sam. But in the midst of suggestions about the statue's potential relocation, UNC Libraries have already said they don't want the monument. 

Things to do 

Revisit the 2000s, without the low-rise jeans. WXYC will be hosting a 2000s dance at Cat's Cradle. Hint: We're a little biased because assistant city editor David Saff is a DJ for the event (we call him DJ Tallanasty). 

One more thing! 

Thanks to our wonderful and generous friends, DTH Media Corp. is about $3,000 shy of our first quarter goal of raising $25,000 by Oct. 1 (and about $78,000 shy of our goal to raise $100,000 by June). If you'd like to help us reach our goal, check out this link! We can't thank you enough. 

"We are doomed to aspire for the rest of our lives. Aspiration is suffering. Wellness is suffering. As soon as you level up, you greet how infinite the possibilities are, and it all becomes too awful to live without."

Taffy Brodesser-Akner, How Goop's Haters Made Gwyneth Paltrow's Company Worth $250 Million