DTH Sports at a Glance

DTH Sports at a Glance: Breathe easy

Sometimes, I have trouble breathing.

When I was 12, I fell off a 10-foot ladder and bruised my ribs on impact. For the next few days, breathing was a necessary yet unenviable task, as was laughing and coughing and sitting up straight.

After a few weeks the pain subsided, and years later it's virtually nonexistent. But if I slouch a certain way or breathe too heavily, I can still feel it (and I still have an irrational fear of 10-foot ladders).

And then there's Emma Bozek, a star for the North Carolina field hockey team. After having difficulty breathing for her entire life, doctors diagnosed her with a sequestered lung after her junior season — forcing her off the field in 2015.

But this season, Bozek is back and better than ever. On Saturday, the senior scored her first goal since 2014, leading the No. 3 Tar Heels to two weekend wins.

Maybe I should try my hand at ladders again, after all.

Stories from the weekend

• In UNC's 48-23 win over Illinois on Saturday, Mitch Trubisky showed what the numbers could not.
  • A year on the sidelines couldn't keep Emma Bozek from scoring her first goal and leading the field hockey team to an undefeated weekend.
  • The volleyball team faced reality after splitting the ACC-Big Ten Challenge against two top-five teams.

Season preview

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.