In the Know

News Cheat Sheet for Aug. 24, 2012

TOP STORY — Armstrong facing loss of 7 Tour de France titles
Cyclist Lance Armstrong could lose his seven Tour de France titles as soon as today after a protracted and bitter fight with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Though the USADA treated Armstrong’s decision not to pursue arbitration in the drug case against him as an admission of guilt, he called the investigation an “unconstitutional witch hunt.” “There comes a point in every man’s life when he has to say, ‘Enough is enough.’ For me, that time is now,” Armstrong said Thursday night, hours before the deadline to enter arbitration.

U.S. incomes fell more in recovery, Sentier says
Bloomberg reports that American incomes actually declined more in the three-year period of economic recovery since the end of the Great Recession than during the recession itself. Median household income fell 4.8 percent on an inflation-adjusted basis since the recession ended in June 2009, more than the 2.6 percent drop during the 18-month contraction, according to an analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data by Sentier Research LLC.

Analysis of election factors points to Romney win, University of Colorado study says
A study by two University of Colorado political science professors forecasts that Mitt Romney will win the 2012 presidential election. Their model, which correctly predicted all elections since 1980, found that Romney would both garner more electoral votes and would win 52.9 percent of the popular vote to President Obama’s 47.1 percent. There are a few caveats, though, including the use of older economic data and the unpredictability of seesaw voters in swing states.

N.C. GOP delegation keeps eye on Isaac as members depart for Florida
North Carolina delegates at the Republican National Convention might have a leg up on visitors from other states — they know a thing or two about hurricanes. The News & Observer reports on delegates’ preparations for Tropical Storm Isaac at the convention in Tampa, Fla. next week.

Going to Obama’s speech? Bring comfortable shoes
The Democratic National Convention Committee will provide shuttles for attendees of President Barack Obama’s nomination acceptance speech at the Bank of America Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 6. But speech goers should be prepared for a bit of a walk — shuttle pick-up and drop-off points are between eight and 11 blocks away from the stadium.

CLASS CHANGE (a discussion starter between classes) — Magellanic Clouds-Milky Way system’s twins found
Astronomers have found two galaxies that are almost an exact match to the Milky Way Galaxy and its close neighbors, the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, after surveying hundreds of thousands of galaxies.