In the Know

News Cheat Sheet for Oct. 8, 2012

TOP STORY — A veep debate that could really matter
The vice presidential debate on Thursday night has new significance after President Barack Obama’s subpar debate performance last week. Politico reports: “Obama’s Denver dud, and specifically his refusal to go after Mitt Romney on some of the GOP nominee’s most glaring vulnerabilities, has officials in both parties anticipating an aggressive, hard-hitting Biden showing up to try to put Democrats back on the offensive.”

But while Vice President Joe Biden seeks to go on the offensive, he’ll face a vice presidential candidate in Paul Ryan known for his politeness and Midwestern sensibilities on the campaign trail. From the Associated Press.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez wins another 6-year term, electoral council says
Chavez won his third consecutive six-year term by securing 54 percent of the vote against 45 percent for Henrique Capriles, his youthful rival who galvanized opposition to the socialist president.

From FoxNews.com: “Chavez will now have a freer hand to push for an even bigger state role in the economy, as he pledged during the campaign, and to continue populist programs. He’s also likely to further limit dissent and deepen friendships with U.S. rivals.”

Christensen: It’s still too close to call N.C. for Romney
The News & Observer’s Rob Christensen surveys the political landscape in North Carolina four weeks out from the Nov. 6 elections.