Medium

Feelings About Trailers: White Men Doing Strange Things

They say don’t judge a book by its cover, but can you judge a movie by its trailer? In this semi-weekly, less than professional series, we’ll review newly released trailers of upcoming movies. Send us movie trailers you want reviewed or thoughts on what we got wrong at medium@dailytarheel.com

Point Break
Opening Dec. 25

Immediate feelings: “The people behind this are extreme athletes using their skills to interrupt the international financial market” — um, okay. First of all, I love it; second of all, no. I love that this is not something I’ve seen before, but also that’s probably because it doesn’t make any sense? The scenery is gorgeous though, and I want to go to whatever country this is in (the guys aren’t terrible either). Also, those stunts look fun and I’m into the down-with-the-government mentality. Let it be known that this is the most popular trailer on iTunes.

Best Quote: “You’re going to steal it?” “‘No — I’m going to liberate it.” YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT GOLD IN A ROCK IN THE GROUND, STOP.

Will I Watch it: Absolutely yes. But, to be fair, I still watch the "Mission: Impossible" movies and one day want to fly in one of those squirrel suits.

American Ultra
Opening Aug. 21

(Warning: There's swearing in the trailer) 

Immediate feelings: I completely, always, and unequivocally hate the use of Top 40 songs in movie trailers, so I am angry immediately at this. Movie-wise, why isn’t Kristen Stewart playing Jesse Eisenberg’s character?? If I had to believe someone was an undercover operative, it’d be Kristen Stewart all the way. Side note: they were great together in "Adventureland," and I’m really excited to see the dynamic they have in this movie. Plus, there are some really funny and excellent actors in this (Connie Britton from "Friday Night Lights," Topher Grace from "That 70s Show"). However, Jesse Eisenberg’s hair looks super gross in this movie, and I just can’t get past that. Just because you do drugs doesn’t mean you can’t be hygienic.

Best Quote: “I recognize that now as a faux pas.” Very polite and well-mannered, and I like that.

Will I Watch it: Probably yes, and maybe mostly because of my love for Kristen Stewart. 

We Are Your Friends
Opening Aug. 28

Immediate feelings: Is this just bro "Pitch Perfect" but more selfish, more sexist and less about supportive friendships? I feel like I’m one of the targeted audience members, and this just makes me think of #millennials in a not cute, New York Times think-piecey kind of way. Like most people, I like Zac Efron and I think Emily Ratajkowski (who played Andie in "Gone Girl") is someone to watch, but I am not sure that either of them can carry this movie past its angsty frat vibe.

Best Quote: “Get your head out of that laptop and start listening to what the real world is trying to tell you.” And that’s when it went from fine to trying too hard.

Will I Watch It: Maybe on Netflix at 3 a.m. — maybe I’ll fall asleep, maybe I won’t, but either way I won't watch it again.