Medium

Friday Five: best/worst of summer movies

Your Fridays are busy — we get it. You've got sleep to catch up on, plans to make and feelings to feel after repressing so much during your week to get through it all. But what if you skipped all of your homework to sleep, your party is on Saturday and you deal with your emotions in a healthy way? We've got you covered. Why not watch some movies instead?

We've made a list of the best/worst movies of the summer to encourage your binge watching habits. Happy weekend!

FIVE BEST MOVIES OF THE SUMMER

5. Spy: Whatever Melissa McCarthy does, I laugh. But, this movie was hilarious because it featured McCarthy in her element: a misfit, unfit badass.

4. Straight Outta Compton: Compelling and unafraid, thanks to director F. Gary Gary.

3. Mad Max: Fury Road: Critics praised this remake — a rarity in itself — for its breathtaking visuals that complement the edge-of-your-seat action sequences. A true masterpiece of modern cinematography.

2. The Gift: The Gift is genuinely scary because of its plausibility and relatability. Everyone has that creepy guy from high school, and no one should fuck with him.

1. Trainwreck: Funny, modern and relevant, Trainwreck is a testament to Amy Schumer’s unique comedy that seems to resonate with so many young people.

FIVE WORST MOVIES OF THE SUMMER

(I'm not going to include the movie trailers for these because you're welcome)

5. Fantastic Four: You are four times more likely to walk out of this Marvel misstep. Critics panned it for being uneventful, unfunny and downright unbearable to watch.

4. Minions: If only there was a delete button for American trends like this one. Although the movie received mixed reviews from critics, many Daily Tar Heel staffers thought it was a disgrace.

3. Ouija: The abysmal movie spelled out one message: don’t waste your time.

2. Hot Pursuit: So many people were excited about this movie, considering it features two funny, A-List actresses like Sofia Vergara and Reese Witherspoon, but it was ultimately a letdown.

1. The Gallows: I would rather gargle on acid than watch this movie again. It was the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

medium@dailytarheel.com