Medium

Music Monday: What UNC students listen to on the way to class

Hey whatsup hello UNC! Since coming to here a few weeks ago, I've noticed that music is EVERYWHERE on campus — whether it's someone strumming their guitar in the Pit, playing music softly in their dorm, or the mobs of people walking to class with headphones in. This led me to ask: What do UNC students listen to, especially to get pumped for class in the morning? 

Here's what I found out:

First Years

Lana Del Rey, Timeflies, BeyoncĂ© and The Weeknd are the most popular among first years interviewed, mixing upbeat pop vibes with strong bass beats. 

Unlike most students, first-year Sam Blank is "totally a morning person" and loves listening to The Mountain Goats, whose main hit This Year will help him make it through his first year at UNC. 

Sophomores

More hardcore than first-years, the sophomores interviewed approach their mornings with a weird mix of rap and country. Kanye, Fetty Wap, J. Cole, Meek Mill, were all favorites, along with Brad Paisley, Florida Georgia Line and Zac Brown Band.  (Although apparently J. Cole is a favorite among all classes at UNC).

Sophomore Kevin Parham said he listens really random stuff...normally cycling through different genres," depending on his mood. Don't we all, Kevin, don't we all.

Juniors

Laid back and relaxed, the majority of juniors interviewed jam out on the way to class while listening to artists such as Ezra Vine, Fitz and The Tantrums, The Black Keys, Foster The People, alt-j, and the X Ambassadors. Obviously, Juniors are something out of a dream for indie and alternative lovers. 

Seniors

Out of all the students I interviewed, the seniors had the widest variety of tastes. From Stevie Wonder to Latin Pop, seniors like artists such as Trey Songz, The Jackson Five, Kings of Leon, Sia, Birdy, Rihanna and The Supremes. It's easy as ABC for seniors have a classy, rocking taste in music.

Listen to the playlist here:

@calliewilliamss