Medium

Watch these movies when you're alone during Fall Break

It's just common knowledge that there are some movies that are better watched alone. On Fall Break, hopefully, you'll find some time to your self. Why not make the most of it? Here are a list of 6 great movies to feel in their entirety. 

1. “She’s the Man”

This romantic comedy has everything you could want in a cheesy throwback. The lovely Amanda Bynes stars as soccer-loving tomboy, Viola, who impersonates her twin brother, and the young Channing Tatum is Duke, a hopeless romantic who learns various uses of tampons. 

2. “The Prestige”

If you have not seen this mystery-thriller movie, then you’re missing out. If you have, watch it again, because you probably missed something. This movie deals with two magicians trying to upstage each other’s magic acts. With an impressive cast, including Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson, this movie will keep you on your toes, clutching your pillow, and leave you wondering: “How is that possible?” 

3. “Spy”

This movie has all the crass humor and outlandish stunt scenes you could ever want. Melissa McCarthy plays Susan Cooper, a dorky CIA desk agent who transforms into a sassy field agent who don’t need no man. The ridiculousness of this movie is sure to make you laugh — even if you’re surrounded by a tub of ice cream, two bags of popcorn and a jar of Nutella. 

4. “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

If you like indie movies with a unique flare, then any of Wes Anderson’s movies are perfect for you. “The Grand Budapest Hotel” is his most recent film that follows that adventures of concierge Gustave H. and lobby boy Zero Moustafa. This movie’s adorkableness will leave you with warm fuzzy feelings and a tinge of sadness after it’s over. 

5. “Vertigo”

If you have never seen an Alfred Hitchcock movie — or have never heard of this famous director — then it’s time to get cultured. This 50s thriller movie stars James Stewart as a retired detective suffering from acrophobia who becomes increasingly obsessed with a lady friend. The twists and turns of this movie are sure to entertain your lonesome self and will also earn you brownie points if you bring it up with your grandparents over break. 

6. “The Intouchables”

Oui, this movie may be in French, but the storyline crosses cultural barriers and will leave you and your imaginary international friend crying. This movie follows the relationship between the disabled aristocrat, Philippe, and his caregiver from the projects, Driss. The movie inspired by a true story, which makes going through a whole box of tissues to wipe away your tears worth it. 

medium@dailytarheel.com