Medium

Preview: Who's returning and who's new in the Star Wars franchise

The latest Star Wars movie hits theaters next month, and people everywhere are freaking out. If you’re caught up in the frenzy and too panicked to think clearly about what’s going on, I’ve got a rundown of which characters are returning, who’s new and what we know about their roles so far. 

Or if you don’t care at all, but would really prefer to not look ignorant, I’ve got you covered too.

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is set 30 years after the Battle of Endor, which the Jedi (the good guys) won. Everyone’s being pretty hush-hush about what’s going to happen next but the trailer gives us some important clues:

The Returners

All of our old favorites are back, only older!

Luke Skywalker 

Apparently the movie centers around some sort of search for Luke, and according to CINEMABLEND, it’s rumored he might not get much screen time. He’s not in the poster and doesn’t even show his face in the trailer, so all bets are off when it comes to his role.

Princess Leia

She’s on the poster so obviously it’s a done deal. Her role is still super unclear, though. Did she marry Han? Did she get Jedi training? Is she going to break out that weird bikini outfit again? Or the side buns? No one really knows.

Han Solo

Sometimes annoying, sometimes arrogant, always lovable. I gotta admit, while Luke was more dreamy, I was always glad Leia ended up with Han. Oh wait, Luke and Leia were siblings so that wouldn’t have worked out anyways. Remember that one time they kissed? That was weird. Anyways, according to CINEMABLEND, Han seems to have some sort of role in a search for Luke. He also might have a limp because Harrison Ford injured himself on set. Whoops.

Chewy, C-3PO and R2-D2

The gang’s all back together! And that includes all the original actors. Yep, did you know there are real people under all of those costumes? They even seem to bear an uncanny resemblance to their characters…

Some Newbies

There are a lot of new characters, including at least four villains. Here are the main people to watch out for:

Finn

Finn is a mysterious character who starts out as a Stormtrooper but, according to CINEMABLEND, is rumored to later become a Jedi. Apparently he also wields a lightsaber, which might just be Luke’s. Who is he, where does he come from, and is he a good guy? Yeah, we really have no idea.

Rey

Joining the (slim) ranks of strong female characters, Rey has a lot of screen time in the trailer and seems to have an important role to play in the movie. What exactly that role is we’re not sure; according to CINEMABLEND, she's an introverted scavenger from a planet called Jakku. She also has a really fast ride, so she’s automatically cool.

Poe Dameron

Here we go, another pilot. Can this guy really expect to replace Han Solo in our hearts? Hopefully not, because its not happening. According to CINEMABLEND, his character seems to team up with Finn on some sort of mission from Princess Leia.

Kylo Ren

A supervillian name for a super villain. Kylo Ren is the latest bad guy in the series. He’s got a three-pronged lightsaber so he means business. CINEMABLEND says he’s the leader of the Knights of Ren, whatever that is, and seems to be continuing in the tradition of Darth Vader. 

@meggiecruser