Medium

5 best songs of 2015

2015 was a huge year for music. We saw one of the biggest hit singles of our generation, a star was thrown into legendary stardom and another celebrity had a major rebrand to bring them back into the limelight. 

All of this happened while new faces joined the scene, and some old standards continued releasing great content.

Here’s my list of the best songs of 2015:

5. Trap Queen – Fetty Wap

Fetty Wap was completely unknown at the beginning of the year, but “Trap Queen” and it’s catchy beat put him on the map. Even though it never reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 list, it still stuck in everyone’s heads and still plays on the radio even after it’s re-release in December of 2014.

4. The Hills – The Weekend

The Weekend is another newcomer to the top of the radio charts, and the tracks from his newest album “Beauty Behind the Madness”have been extremely successful. While both “The Hills” and “Can’t Feel My Face” are both super catchy and popular, the former track was number one of the Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks giving it the edge in this list.

3. Bad Blood – Taylor Swift

Taylor Swifts album “1989” blew up at the end of 2014, and while the major singles from that album topped the charts in 2014 “Bad Blood” became one of the top songs of the summer.  The video release with a huge cast of celebrities and collaboration with Kendrick Lamar created so much buzz about this song that it was impossible to ignore.

2. Hello — Adele

The most recent release on the list has been on top of the Billboard Hot 100 list for the past six weeks and has completely taken over the popular music landscape.  Adele’s first single in years was the track that stole the number one spot from Drake’s “Hotline Bling” when the video went viral, so you know it’s good.  The track is a major part of what has caused her album sales to skyrocket.

1 Uptown Funk — Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars

Some people refer to this song as the "Thriller" of our generation, and they may be right.  "Uptown Funk" provided the world with a great dance tune that every demographic, from parents to teenagers, could enjoy.  Not only was it well received, but it reigned as number one atop the Billboard Hot 100 list for 14 consecutive weeks.  Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars struck gold with this song.

Honorable Mentions:

See You Again - Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth

Although it was made to promote the movie Furious 7 and not on a stand alone album, "See You Again" stayed atop the Hot 100 list for a whopping 12 weeks.

What Do You Mean? - Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber's new album completely redefined his image this year, landing the top single from the album on this list.

Shut Up and Dance - Walk the Moon

Another great song of the summer seemed like it was everywhere for many of the spring and summer months, even though it never became a number one hit.

Hotline Bling - Drake

This music video became too much of an internet sensation to ignore.  It's less of a song and at this point and more of a pop culture icon.