Medium

Binge Watch Guide: 'Parks and Recreation'

Binge Watch Guide is a blog series to lead you through the many available series for streaming.

“Parks and Recreation,” or “Parks and Rec” as you will soon lovingly refer to it, is an NBC show that follows the optimistic Leslie Knope (played by queen Amy Poehler) through her bureaucratic work in the parks department of Pawnee, Indiana.

All episodes are currently available for streaming on Netflix. The seventh and final season was added on Jan. 13. I know it was Jan. 13 because that is the day I almost missed all of my classes to finish out the series.

Time Commitment: Medium. Although there are 125 episodes, most of them clock in at about 22 minutes each. I will be disappointed if it takes you longer than 48 hours per season. This is a binge-watch guide. This is not a casual-viewing-in-your-free-time guide.

Most Interesting Character: Ron Swanson. Played by Nick Offerman, Ron is Leslie Knope’s boss. His two passions are breakfast food and his belief that government should be privatized. That’s right, Ron Swanson works for the Parks department but does not believe it should exist. With a nearly permanent straight face, he seems cold and usually is, but Ron truly cares about his staff. Plus, he has the greatest one-liners of the show.

Honorable Mention: Literally every other character.

The Good: “Parks and Rec” is truly a feel-good comedy. It shows the importance of friendship, the benefits of helping your community, and why every day should be the day you treat yo’ self. It boasts some of the greatest actors of our time, (Joe Biden is in two episodes!!!!) and tells the story of everyday people in an everyday American small town with incredibly smart humor.

The Bad: It does get frustrating to see Leslie’s great ideas for Pawnee consistently being turned down or changed. I guess this is meant to give us a taste of good ole bureaucracy, but sometimes you just want to see her goal work out. Spoiler: Jeremy Jamm is the worst.

The Takeaway: This may seem extreme, but this show kind of made me want to be a better person. Leslie Knope is one of the greatest TV protagonists to date. She is smart, bold, willing to fight for her beliefs, and fiercely protective of her friends. KNOPE 2016 AM I RIGHT?

If you liked this, consider watching this too: This show was originally planned as a spin-off of “The Office,” which shares its’ mockumentary, single-camera style.

If you like workplace comedy, check out Tina Fey’s “30 Rock.”

If you just enjoy getting caught up in the antics of Leslie and the gang, “Arrested Development” should be next on your list.