Medium

Review: Why Alessia Cara’s album is worth a listen

You may not be familiar with ‘the girl that sings “Here”’, but she has a name, and it’s Alessia Cara.

Alessia Cara’s new album "Know-It-All" is an exceptional display of everything we didn’t know about her, and everything we need to know about who she is as an artist.

Beginning with “Seventeen”, the first song on the album, Alessia takes us on her journey growing up a little too fast. Introducing us to her musical aura and style, this song sets the mood of the album.

Taking the idea of pop as it is, Cara molds her music into her own sound, mixing pop and R&B vibes to create music that is most representative of her as a unique artist.

By doing this, she creates the kind of emotional atmosphere that you only find with certain music. Good music. Music with power. With "River of Tears" and "Here," Cara pulls on heartstrings with expressive downtempo melodies specific to her style.

But Cara isn’t all sad ballads. She continues to reinvent her idea of pop throughout the album with upbeat anthems such as “I’m Yours”, “Wild Things” and “Outlaws” where she lyrically analyzes relationships, living in the now and not apologizing for being who you are.

As an unapologetic artist, Cara continues to make her mark with her song “Scars to Your Beautiful” and “My Song,” promoting self acceptance and love.

The most personal song on her album and the last song Cara wrote, "Four Pink Walls," truly brings the album full circle as she describes her transformation from spending all of her time in her room into effortlessly accomplishing all of her dreams.

By gradually pulling you in with her brilliant lyrical flow, Cara uses her voice to present her inner thoughts and powerful story from the first word on the album to the last note of the final track. She creatively employs her vulnerability and honesty as stepping stones for every line.