Medium

Binge Watch Guide: ‘Friday Night Lights’

<p></p>

Binge Watch Guide is a blog series to lead you through the many available series for streaming. 

Nothing beats inspirational sports movies. 

"The Blind Side," "Remember the Titans," "Bend it Like Beckham" — even for someone with zero knowledge of sports beyond the heartbreak that was Monday night/happiness that was this season, they just make you feel good. 

You root for the underdogs, watch players sweat it out on the field and applaud their hard work when they inevitably win the championship. The only thing better? Inspirational sports TV shows, and in that category, "Friday Night Lights" takes the cake. You can stream all five glorious seasons on Netflix.

source: chron.com

Time commitment: Medium. Like I said, it's only five seasons. However, each episode is about 45 minutes, and they are usually pretty emotionally draining. Best for when you’re feeling sad OR need some life motivation.

Most interesting character: Tami Taylor, aka Queen Connie Britton. As the wife of a football coach in a small town in Texas, her character could have easily been relegated to a supporting role without much meat (ugh). But thankfully, Jason Katims — the show’s head writer — and Tami is in many ways the heart of the show. We see her encourage student athletes and “rally girls” to go beyond academic expectations, support her husband while also always speaking her mind and advance in her career, moving from guidance counselor to dean of admissions at a university. Plus, Tami and Coach Taylor epitomize #relationshipgoals.

Honorable mention: Matt Saracen (played by Zach Gilford). He is the sweet angel with a crush on the Taylor’s daughter and the world on his shoulders as he’s put into the quarterback role after a heartbreaking pilot episode. His parents are AWOL, he has to take care of his grandmother and he just really, really wants to make the town proud. *sobbing emoji*

The good: Everything. The cast is great and the length of each episode allows the writers to really develop each character. And let me tell you, you get invested in every single one.

The bad: It can get pretty heavy. I would’ve liked the show to have a little more humor, something Queen Connie talks about in this podcast. But the writing and acting is great, so the drama is definitely believable. Tears will fall.

Takeaway: "Friday Night Lights" is simultaneously my go-to need-to-cry and need-to-get-pumped-up show because it’s so dang inspirational and heartwarming. If these boys can fight through adversity and become state champs, I can get out of bed and run/do homework/apply for jobs.

If you liked this, consider watching this too: "Parenthood." Jason Katims was an executive producer and writer for both shows, so there are SO. MANY. fun crossovers cast-wise. Minka Kelly, my future husband Michael B. Jordan, Matt Lauria and more appear on both shows. Parenthood is equally gut-wrenching and has a wonderful cast including Lauren Graham (aka  Lorelai Gilmore) and Craig T. Nelson as the family patriarch.