Medium

App Review: 'Chariot for Women'

“Chariot for Women” is the strange-sounding new app that’s been popping up on your newsfeed lately. But what is it? Their mission statement is “Driving Women Towards Empowerment and Safety.” But what does that entail?

This app was created based off the concern for the safety of female Uber drivers and female Uber passengers. Michael Pelletz, the founder, was an Uber driver who one night had a belligerently drunk passenger. The passenger was so incoherent, Pelletz had to go to a police officer for help. Though he was fine, the thought stuck with him: What if I had been a woman driving? What could have happened in that situation?

With that in mind, Chariot for Women was created — an app only for women and children, only driven by women.

But how practical is a business design that cuts out half of its potential customers?

Pros:

• Two percent of every fare earned will be donated to charities with women's interests in mind.
  • Customers can vote on 10 local and national charities — for that month, every rider can pick which charity the two percent of their fare goes to.
  • Though the app is not available to check specific fares yet, the website claims they do not implement surge pricing.

Cons:

• The services do not become available until April 19 (but are available in every state.)
  • The app, which could offer more information on routes and fares, is not available until April 19.

So far, online feedback has been mixed.