Medium

Questions we have after watching the 'Fantastic Beasts' trailer

The new "Fantastic Beasts" trailer left me with a lot of question and approximately zero answers. If you don’t like Harry Potter — first of all, who are you and what are you doing with your life — you might want to stop reading now. For all of you who are just as excited — and nervous — as me, continue on to the magical world of 1920’s New York where Newt Scamander is doing . . . what exactly? 

For those Muggles who have read the book — and I use the term book loosely here, as it was really nothing more than an appendix on all the creatures in J.K. Rowling’s wizarding world — what about the mysterious author do we know from reading those tattered pages? 

We know nothing about the main character other than his name, Newt Scamander — which is an unfortunate name for anyone as it is far to close to Salamander, a type of small amphibious animal, and probably exactly what Rowling was intending when she penned his last name — and his face. 

But as of right now, that’s all we know. So my questions are this:

• Who is the woman speaking in front of the Ministry of Magic?
  • Is that the Ministry of Magic she’s speaking to, or is it something like the American equivalent?
  • Who is Newt Scamander other than a magizoologist and total babe?
  • What magical creature is now on a rampage through New York?
  • Did Newt let it out or was it someone else?
  • Are any of the original HP cast going to make an appearance and is this a completely freestanding movie or will it tie into Harry Potter somehow, making it a prequel of sorts? 

These questions and many more will (hopefully) be answered in November, but until then  I’ll just re-watch the trailer and try to glean the answers from Eddie Redmayne’s pretty face.