On The Wire

Six-month anniversary of health care reform

Six months after President Barack Obama signed the health care overhaul, most people have strong opinions on the legislation but don’t know what it includes.

“I’m embarrassed by how little I know,” said UNC sophomore Claire Burridge.

According to a poll conducted in August by the Kaiser Family Foundation, 43 percent of people favored the law, 45 percent opposed, and 12 percent expressed no opinion.

“I think most people are very confused by it,” said Dr. Margaret Flowers, a congressional fellow for Physicians for a National Health Program.

Both those who favor and oppose it agree that the public needs to be educated.

“There needs to be more outreach to different groups to let people know what is in the bill and what isn’t,” said Pam Silberman, President and CEO of the North Carolina Institute of Medicine.

Parts of the legislation go into effect Thursday

Plans starting or being renewed will be protected against: arbitrary cancellation of coverage due to sickness, denial of coverage to children due to pre-existing conditions, salary discrimination and lifetime caps on coverage. Also, young adults will be allowed to stay on their parent’s plan until they turn 26 years old.

Consumers that purchase new plans will have: preventive services without a deductible or co-payments, both internal and external appeals following coverage denials, choice of doctor and access to all emergency rooms.