On The Wire

UNC ranks 36th for sexual health services

UNC’s sexual health services are above average, but not the best.

Trojan Annual Sexual Health Report Card ranked UNC 36th — one spot down from last year — out of 141 schools for 2010.

An annual ranking in its fifth year, the report card evaluates schools on the sexual health services they have available to students.

“We looked at the availability of sexual health services and information,” said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling’s Best Places, the independent research firm in charge of the rankings.

Services required for a good score range from availability of free sexually transmitted infections testing and contraceptives to the existence of student support groups and a sex information newspaper column.

Duke scored seven spots higher than UNC.

“I don’t necessarily agree that these categories equate to the best practices,” said Sara Stahlman, UNC health educator at Campus Health Services.

Information for ranking is compiled through self-reports from the universities and an evaluation of the university’s health services website, Sperling said.

“It’s just a little bit biased I think,” Stahlman said. “I certainly don’t think this ranking is the best way to compare our services to others.”

Last year’s number one school, the University of South Carolina at Columbia, dropped to number 30.

Sperling said UNC could improve its ranking by encouraging drop-ins to health services and providing advice to anonymous questions, Sperling said.

“Because we are part of our Campus Health Services, we have a lot of restrictions on anonymus services,” Stahlman said. “Service-wise, we are doing a great job.”

Some of the services available on campus include: free contraceptives, HIV testing, STI counseling, sexual health education, healthy relationship training and education for groups and classrooms.

The center also runs a group called the Tarheel Reproductive Health Leaders, who spread the message of sexual health awareness around campus, Stahlman said.

What you said:

“I don’t even know where I would go to get those services,” said UNC junior Shirlyn Davenport.

“I know plenty of people who have no idea,” said UNC junior Alex Schaffer. “Maybe they should do a better job of getting the word out.”

But some are content.

“I think UNC does a good job,” said UNC sophomore Leah McCann. “They don’t throw it in you face.”