On The Wire

What to look out for a month before the elections

With the midterm elections less than a month away, candidates are preparing their eleventh-hour attempts to secure voters’ approval.

Will a Republican resurgence allow the GOP to reclaim majorities in the House and Senate? Or will the Democrats hang on to power in Washington?

Here are a few things to look for in the last month before the elections:

-“October surprises” or last-gasp opposition research scandals often result in a reversal of fortunes for
the front-runner in races, according to POLITICO

Some bombshells have already been dropped — most notably regarding candidates’ military records.
Democrat candidate Richard Blumenthal for the senate race in Connecticut misled voters to believe he served on the ground in Vietnam rather than in the U.S. as a member of the Marine Corps Reserve. This blunder reduced his significant lead in the polls to a virtual stalemate.

-The economy usually weighs heaviest on voters’ minds in elections and an employment report to be released on Friday will provide the latest unemployment numbers.

Democrats could suffer if the unemployment rate inches above an already troubling 9.6 percent.

- President Obama returning to the campaign trail to boost support for some Democrats in trouble. At the New Orleans Saints game against the Carolina Panthers Sunday, a campaign ad for Louisiana Rep. Candidate Cedric Richmond featured Obama addressing fans.

“New Orleans needs Cedric Richmond in Congress, and so do I,” Obama said in the ad.

The president’s first general election campaign commercial might indicate a new trend for desperation in Democrats.