On The Wire

Beatles music now on iTunes

Both generations past and present have enjoyed listening to The Beatles by record player, tape player and CD-player. But as of Tuesday, fans can now find some of their golden favorites on iTunes.

On UNC’s campus, many students and faculty were unaware that the famous band’s music couldn’t already be found on Apple’s media provider.

“I didn’t know that they weren’t on iTunes until yesterday when I saw the big announcement,” said Katie Atmonavage, a sophomore journalism major at UNC.

The band had been missing in action on iTunes due to a legal quarrel about trademark conflicts between Apple and the Beatle’s company called Apple Corps.

Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO, stated in a press release that it has been a difficult process.

“Thanks to the Beatles … we are now realizing a dream we’ve had since we launched iTunes 10 years ago,” said Jobs in the press release.

Rita Balaban, an economics professor at UNC, said she enjoys listening to The Beatles, but has never used iTunes.

“I do like The Beatles. They were a band out when I was a kid,” Balaban said.

Balaban said she might download iTunes now that one of her favorite bands can be found there.

Christina Best, a freshman psychology major, didn’t know The Beatles were not on iTunes, but thinks the addition will be enjoyed by many people.

“I think their legacy has been beneficial to people in the past generation and this generation,” Best said.