Pit Talk

Fresh(man) Eyes: Spring

The temperature is rising. The trees are growing greener. The birds are chirping.

That can only mean one thing — spring is upon us.

In college, I’ve found that spring seems to take on a different air. The campus seems to come alive, and everyone seems to be rushing outside.

In high school, spring had little meaning. My whole day was practically spent inside, so the only change was the scenery I was staring at outside the window. Only the nicest of teachers would hold class outside.

But in college, even a change of classes promises at least 10 minutes of glorious sunshine. There can sometimes be hours of time between classes or activities. It isn’t hard to see why students would take to the outdoors to do even the most ordinary things.

Junior Keenan Jenkins said spring in Chapel Hill is like nowhere else. Glad to escape the cold of winter, he was doing his homework outside.

“I don’t want to be inside right now, and I can kill two birds with one stone,” he said.

Some girls were out promoting Relay for Life, and they told me that Pit-sitting for events is more common in the spring because a lot of events, like theirs, take place when the weather gets nice.

“You get to enjoy the outside more,” said junior Ghezal Rashid, one of the Relay for Life promotors.

Even the Pit Preachers are in on the act. Like the birds in the trees, their shrill cries have become a part of the campus soundscape.

Sarah Crowley, a woman affiliated with one of the Pit preachers, said higher Pit traffic in spring makes for a more ideal evangelizing opportunity. 

“It is easier to preach in warm weather,” she said.